Thursday 19 May 2011

Time for Some Crafty Crochet

Too much work and too little play makes Gorgeous Things a dull lady - and dull is not a word I like to be described as! So after all this "work" stripping out and re-doing the shop, and sorting out all the masses of stock I now have at home, I decided it was time to get the creative juices flowing again by doing some crafting. What better than to resurrect my "crochet project"?


After reading about the Granny Stripe blanket by Lucy at Attic 24 I had to have a go - that was started a year ago. I DO love it - the freedom of choosing colours - any colours I fancy - doesn't have to "match" any interior, it just has to please me - what a great concept!

Obviously, this is one BIG blanket, and it isn't finished yet... I wonder how big it is going to be? This is a tricky decision. I didn't want a tricky decision, though, I wanted to do some crafty crochet! I wonder if it is nearly ready for a pretty picot border? Looks quite good there on the vintage Ercol day bed I'm thinking...
Well, while I'm pondering over that thought, maybe I could just line up a new project, do a few test pieces etc etc. Try out some new designs.... like this snowflake. And I've learnt how to join them together - woooo, now that's clever, I like this effect.


I have fallen for a new blanket design I have seen all over blogland and ravelry - the "flowers in the snow" - I particularly liked this blogger's version  Mias Landliv - and what a lovely blog - if you haven't been over there I thoroughly recommend it - full of bright fresh loveliness!!. It is made up of circles which are then combined into squares which are all crocheted together - using my new found skill of joining with crochet.



So I have bought some coloured cottons - unfortunately, my local yarn shop didn't have lots of bright pastel colours, so I took what I could - as I just HAD to start immediately (you know how it is?). So now I have lots of pretty piles of circles - and it is such FUN.

Sort of heathery colours - ok I think. Now I have to decide "how big" and I have to decide what colour to use to join them all together - obviously it is supposed to be white, but I'm thinking maybe a cream might look better - Hmmmmmm!

Anyway, whatever I decide, there are a lot more circles to be done yet - and that is just fine!

10 comments:

  1. Hello:
    Round and round and round and round. We know that be quite dizzy already with the crochet circles [that is if we could crochet at all, which, incidentally, we cannot]. Our minds have gone wild imagining just how big the blanket is to be that you will finally create!!

    Ercol seems to be definitely making a comeback these days. But, we have not seen a daybed before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane & Lance: Crochet and Ercol .... very similar in that it's only when something is truly out of fashion, that it can become fashionable again. All be it with a new twist! Yay for Granny Chic!
    Gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing strippy blankie! Looks brilliant on the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blanket and I can't wait to see the next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooohhhh circles love them. I am in the middle of crochet circles to but how do you stop them from curling up? love your colors and your blanket is gorgeous to wish i could crochet in one straight line. have fun, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really have to learn to crochet!....lovely work and pretty colours...
    Wishing you a weekend full of good things,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stripey blanket and the circles. I can just about manage granny squares, but, like Dee, haven't mastered the art of straight lines!

    I've had a lovely rummage through your blog and adore the red kitchen cabinet. We had one once (a pale blue one) and I gave it away! Why, oh why?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi - love your crochet and your sofa, what a great combination. I'm loving what crochet I've learned but have yet to master anything particularly impressive, luckily a bloggy friend just sent me some granny blankets, so I can pretend!

    I'm your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really HAVE to get on with my granny square blanket now I've seen how lovely your stripe one looks on the daybed.
    Look forward to seeing what those circles become. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment - I really do appreciate every one of them and they make me smile!